Remembering our Veterans with a 21 Gun Salute
Each year during the Memorial Day weekend, American Legion members from Post 312 in Maple Park place American flags on the graves of service members at six Maple Park cemeteries. On Memorial Day the Honor Guard and Rifle Squad perform a memorial service at each of the cemeteries with a 21 gun salute honoring our fallen and deceased Veterans.
In full Legion dress, the Honor Guard will assemble at each cemetery for this short but impressive service. The Post Chaplain will recite a Veterans prayer, the Rifle Squad will fire 3 volleys of 7 rifles over the graves of the Veterans, and the bugler will play taps. Memorial Day services begin at 9:00 a.m., Monday, May 27, 2013.
2013 Memorial Day Honor Guard Schedule:
- 9: 15 - Pierce Cemetery, Pritchard & Owens Rd. in Troxel
- 9:30 - St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery, County Line Road
- 9:45 - Gardner Methodist Cemetery, Rt. 38
- 10:00 - Van Vlak Cemetery, McNulty Road
- 10: 15 - St Peter & Paul Catholic Cemetery, Meredith Road
- 10:30 - South Burlington Cemetery, Ramm Road
Activities at American Legion Maple Park, 203 Main St.
- 10:50 - Kaneland Middle School Band
- 11:15 – Flag Ceremony at the Post Home
- 11:30 – Guest Speaker,
This year our guest speaker will be Representative Robert W. Pritchard (R-Hinckley). Representative Pritchard is the Illinois State Representative for the 70th district, serving the residents in portions of DeKalb, Boone, and Kane Counties. He has been serving in the Illinois House since 2003. Growing up on a farm near Maple Park, and still farming today, he brings a keen knowledge of issues facing us in today’s world. We invite the entire community to hear and meet your State Representative on this day when we honor our Veterans who have died protecting our freedoms and way of life.